Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Da Vinci Code

I found out today that the government is considering banning the movie in India. Ostensibly it's because it may hurt the feelings of a certain minority. This is ridiculous. Hum Aapke Hain Kaun hurt the feelings of a certain minority (namely me). So, did they ban it? Now, I am fairly certain that the movie is going to suck and I have no intentions of watching it, but I think that it will be a lesser of an insult on the moviegoer's intelligence than HAHK ever was.

Furthermore, no one is making the Catholics or Protestants or Muslims or Hindus go watch the movie. If it's that offensive, the offended parties can make their opinions known by not showing up for the movie. That will probably be a good thing too. As mentioned previously, I think that the movie is going to suck. Tom Hanks is going to do his earnest-guy-stuck-in-impossible-situations bit, which is starting to wear a bit thin. The cool puzzles that made the book so interesting are going to fall flat in the movie. But, I digress.

I sometimes think that this oversensitivity has to do more with the 'what will other people say' attitude that most of us Indians exhibit. The first reason for doing or not doing something is not whether it's moral or immoral, correct or incorrect but 'what will other people say'. This hamstrings people at an individual level and seems to hamstring the government too.

Freedom of expression takes precedence over hurt feelings.

2 comments:

Shahryar said...

There is a simple solution to this Indian attitude of 'what will other people say' - make every schoolchild read Richard Feynman's "What Do You Care What Other People Think?"

yesbob said...

the movie turned out okay, I guess